The schizophrenic Aggies of Texas A&M made the only noise in the Monday/Wednesday games this week. Their overtime win at Boulder, a game in which they trailed by three points with three seconds remaining in regulation, compensated for their loss four days earlier to Baylor at Home. Minus 1game in the REAL Standings on Saturday; Plus 1 on Wednesday.
In other action, the Projected winners all--guess what--won. KU defeated Mizzou handily in Lawrence, Baylor took down Nebraska in Waco, and UT knocked OU for a loop in Norman. All in all, no change at the top of REAL Standings, other than the conference season getti ng one game closer to its end. Not that anyone was pinning his or hopes on OU bringing UT back to the two team pack in contention for the Big 12 title. . .
Otherwise, the primary battle is the three way race between Mizzou, Baylor, and A&M for the other two byes in the first round of the conference's post-season tournament. Or can K-State, with Curtis Kelly back in the picture, make a run for the prestigious final bye?
REAL STANDINGS: 2-11-11
Tier One (Contenders): KU, UT Tier Two (Competitors): Baylor, Mizzou Tier Three (Also rans): Colorado, Iowa St, K-State, Nebraska, Okie St, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Tech
1. 15.5-0.5 UT (9-0) Projected L’s: None Losable games: at Baylor
2. 14.5-1.5 KU (8-1) Projected L’s: None Losable games: at Mizzou
3. 9-7 Mizzou (4-5) Projected L’s: None Losable games: at ISU, at K-State, at NU, vs. KU
Baylor (6-4) Projected L’s: at UT, at Mizzou Losable games: at Okie St, vs. UT
5. 8-8 A&M (5-4) Projected L’s: at Tech, at Okie St, at Baylor, at KU Losable games: None
6. 7-9 Colorado (4-5) Projected L’s: at KU, at Tech, vs. UT, at ISU Losable games: vs. A&M
7. 6.5-9.5 K-State (4-5) Projected L’s: at CU, vs. KU, at Nebraska, at UT Losable games: vs. Mizzou
Okie St (4-5) Projected L’s: at NU, at UT, at KU, at OU Losable games: vs. Baylor
9. 6-10 Oklahoma (4-5) Projected L’s: at Mizzou, at K-State, at A&M, vs. KU, at Tech Losable games: None
Texas Tech (3-6) Projected L’s: at Mizzou, at Baylor, at OSU, at A&M Losable games: None
11. 5.5-10.5 Nebraska (3-6) Projected L’s: at OU, vs. UT, at ISU, at CU Losable games: vs. Mizzou
12. 3.5-12.5 Iowa St (1-8) Projected L’s: at KU, at A&M, at UT, at K-State Losable games: vs. Mizzou WHAT TO WATCH (or not)
1. A&M at Tech (12:30)*** (Projected W: Tech) How many overtime games can A&M play in one season? This certainly has the potential of being another one.
2. . Oklahoma at Mizzou (12:30)*** (Projected W: Mizzou) Mizzou’s formula is simple: Win at Home games, Lose on the Road. Unfortunately for OU, this is a Home game for the Tigers.
3. Baylor at Texas (3:00)***1/2 (Projected W: UT) Baylor’s chance against UT will be in Waco, not Saturday afternoon in Austin. But this game provides an opportunity to assess their progress .
4. Iowa St at KU (3:00)** (Projected W: KU) Iowa St has led or been tied in the final minute in six of their eight conference losses. In fact, Frank Martin was almost apologetic for subjecting the Cyclones to a last second loss last Saturday. There will be no near-apologies this week. ISU will be lucky to be tied or ahead in the FIRST minute.
5. Okie St at Nebraska (6:00)**1/2 (Projected W: NU) This game could be huge when it comes time for seeding the NIT.
6. K-State at Colorado (7:00)*** (Projected W: CU) Riddle me this, Batman: Does Curtis Kelly have two first names or two last names? More importantly, does he still matter? Tune in and find out.