Following the season’s first series of conference games on Friday, the ESPN talking heads seemed to get it. Their focus was on the fact that the Big Three (KU, Baylor, West Virginia) not only won their games, but did so on the Road. They were not acting as if a Win is a Win is a Win. In fact, they even went into a little bit of nuance in discussing which team’s Road Win was the best. Was it West Virginia’s at Okie St, which put the onus on KU and Baylor to win in Stillwater? Was it Baylor’s, which threw down the gauntlet to WVU and KU to overcome OU and Lon Kruger in Norman? Or was it KU’s, which said, “We just beat a team coached by Jamie Dixon that will only get better as the season progresses in Fort Worth; what are you going to do about it?”
At first glance, you might think West Virginia won the weekend, taking out Okie St by 17, compared to Baylor’s 27 point W over the crippled Sooners who were without their best player, Jordan Woodard, and KU’s victory that was in doubt in the final minute of play.
But as theysay in golf, they don’t ask how, just how many. And if you are looking for the game that you would prefer to have in the rear view mirror, it just might be TCU. If you believe KenPom, the Horned Frogs are the best of the three losers, ranked 34 as compared to Okie State’s 34 and OU’s 69.
Of course, those rankings were influenced by Friday’s games—probably in a positive way for TCU and to the detriment of the schools from the State that is just OK on its best day.
So let’s call it a push, which is how the REAL Standings would have treated the Big Three victories anyway. As a result, the KU/BU/WVU trifecta each picked up a half game on the field now lead the Big 12 pack with projected records of 13-5.
Okie ST/OU/TCU, meanwhile, each drop a half game to 7-11, with only the Purples of the South showing a pulse.
In other games, Iowa St and K-State won at Home, as projected, vs. Texas Tech and Texas respectively, resulting in no movement for either them or their victims.
KU, Baylor, West Virginia
Iowa St, K-State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech,
- Baylor: Projected L’s (at WVU, at KU)
- At risk games (at K-State, at TCU, at OSU, at Tech, at ISU, at UT)
- KU:Projected L’s (at WVU, at BU)
- At risk games (at OU, at ISU, at K-State, at Tech, at UT, at OSU)
- WVU: Projected L’s (at KU, at BU)
- At risk games (at Tech, at UT, at K-State, at ISU, at OU, at TCU)
- ISU: Projected L’s (at BU, at OSU, at TCU, at OU, at KU, at UT, at K-State, at Tech, at WVU)
- At risk games (vs. KU, vs. WVU, vs. BU)
- K-State: Projected L’s (at KU, at Tech, at OSU, at ISU, at BU, at WVU, at UT, at OU, at TCU)
- At risk games (vs. BU, WVU, KU)
- Texas Tech: Projected L’s (at KU, at OU, at BU, at UT, at TCU, at WVU, at OSU, at K-State)
- At risk games (vs. WVU, vs. KU, vs. BU)
- UT: Projected L’s (at ISU, at BU, at KU, at TCU, at OSU, at OU, at WVU, at Tech)
- At risk games (vs. WVU, vs. KU, vs. BU)
- OU: Projected L’s (at TCU, at K-State, at WVU, at UT, at Tech, at ISU, at OSU, at BU, at KU)
- At risk games (vs. KU, vs. WVU)
- Okie State: Projected L’s (at UT, at BU, at KU, at Tech, at OU, at WVU, at TCU, at K-State, at ISU)
- At risk games (vs. BU, vs. KU)
- TCU: Projected L’s (at WVU, at UT, at Tech, at OSU, at K-State, at BU, at ISU, at KU, at OU)
- At risk games: (vs, BU, vs. WVU)
AS SEEN ON TV
8:00p.m.: Oklahoma at TCU (ESPNU)***(Projected W: TCU): A game matching two 0-1 teams worth watching in order to assess whether TCU has kind of turned the corner or if it played over its head Friday, as is not unheard of when KU comes to town and fills the Home team’s arena. Record and watch it after:
8:00p.m.: K-State at KU (ESPN 2)****(Projected W: KU):Wouldn’t Bruce Weber like to throw a funeral for Bill Self’s conference championship streak? Here is his chance.
8:15p.m.: West Virginia at Texas Tech (ESPN News) **** (At risk game): The Mountaineers’ opportunity to take the early inside track in the race for the Big 12 title. Tech is going to take out somebody, if not more than one somebody, in Tier One this season.
7:00p.m. Iowa St at Baylor (ESPN News) ***1/2 (Projected W: BU): Any team coached by Scott Whatsisname is a debacle waiting to happen. Don’t know that it will be this early in the season at Home to a team this suspect, but you never can tell.
7:00p.m. Okie St at Texas (LFHN) *** (Projected W: UT): UT’s Motto of the Week: If not now, when? If not Okie St, who?